The word Yoga comes from the Sanskrit word of “yuj” meaning “yoke”, “join”, or “union”. The union is of mind, body, and spirit. Yoga is approximately 5,000 years old and originated in India. There are many types and styles of yoga. What is most often practiced in the West is Hatha Yoga. This style of yoga includes postures for the body, breathing practices and concentration/meditation techniques.
Yoga is not a religion; it is a collection of techniques designed to bring health and well-being.
Benefits of Yoga Include:
- Relieve stress from the pressures of work and home
- Reduce muscular and joint pain
- Gain flexibility and strength throughout your body
- Improve balance and posture to maintain a healthy spine
- Increase energy level to be able to keep doing the activities you love
- Find serenity and peace in the midst of the busyness of your life
- Cultivate compassion and honesty with ourselves and others
- Be a part of a community of people sharing a common goal of improving their lives and the world around them
Yoga therapy applies the physical practice of yoga, often including meditation and breathing practice, to health conditions including shoulder and back pain, high blood pressure, fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, and more. It doesn’t replace your current doctors, treatments, and medications. Instead, it works alongside them.